You have been selected from the PUNS list – what’s next? The PUNS list is simply a waiting list for in Illinois for adult developmental disability support services funding through the Medicaid Home and Community Based Waiver program. When you receive a letter that you have been selected, you will begin the process of being evaluated to confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements for waiver funding. The most important step you can take once you receive the letter is to reach out to your Independent Service Coordination Agency (ISC/PAS Agency) and talk with them about next steps. The ISC will work with you to complete an evaluation. Should you qualify for services after the evaluation is complete, the ISC will partner with you to develop a support plan, called a Personal Plan. The Personal Plan will guide your team in building the right support team for you.You should also connect with the Ligas Family Advocate (LFA) that covers your county. The LFA can assist you in understanding your options and preparing for the planning process. You and your family will need to consider several core questions as you think through what services would be most useful to you. The goal of support services is to help you live the life you want, with the help that you need, as independently as possible. Lastly, you will want to ensure that you have the government benefits in place that will support you in this process. Apply for both Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Medicaid if you have not already done so
- What types of support are most important you in daily living (help with caring for yourself, cooking, meal planning, budgeting, transportation, job support, assistance with medical needs, shopping, community involvement, recreation)?
- Do you want to manage your own support services (Home-based Support), or would you prefer that a Developmental Disability Provider Organization (CILA Support) do so?
- Would you like to live in your family home, in a group home with other adults, with a roommate, or on your own?
- How do you think that your goals and plans may change over the next 5-10 years?
- What kind of natural and community supports, including family, do you have right now?
Pulled from PUNS – What’s Next
Ligas Family Advocates Program
Fact Sheet – Ligas v Eagleson
DRS v DDD Comparison Fact Sheet
Residential Options Fact Sheet
PUNS Pathway Document
ABCs of Self Directing Services Presentation