Mon - Thurs: 9:00am - 5:00pm | Fri: 9:00am - 4:00pm

Children’s Services

Children’s Services and PUNS

Services for children with developmental disabilities are accessed primarily through the special education services provided by local school districts.  There are, however, Medicaid Waiver Programs that also fund services for eligible children when funding is available. Funding for services for children are accessed in the same way as services for adults.  The doorway to funding for services available through the Illinois Department of Human Services, Division of Developmental Disabilities is through Independent Service Coordination (ISC)  agencies. The first step in the process is contacting the appropriate ISC and asking for an appointment to complete the PUNS (Prioritization of the Urgency of the Need for Services). Independent Service Coordinators or Pre-Admission Screening agents will interview parents/caregivers to complete a PUNS form for children who appear to be eligible for services.

Individuals interested in funding for services available through the Division of Developmental Disabilities must contact their ISC and ask to complete a PUNS (Prioritization of Urgency of Need for Services) Form. This form is completed by interview and is the document that enters an individual into the system of services for prioritization and eligibility.  Additional information about the PUNS form and process is available at the following link.  Once an individual is selected from the PUNS database, eligibility is determined.  If that person is found eligible, referrals are made to the appropriate Service Providers. To find your local ISC, click here. Choose Developmental Disability Services and your county.

For more information on the Children’s Support Waiver from the Division of Developmental Disabilities: 

For more information on the other Illinois waiver programs:

Children’s Services
Social Security – Where to Apply
Medicaid – Where to Apply
DHS – Division of Developmental Disabilities
Illinois Department of Human Services Division of Rehabilitation Services (DRS)
Family Community Resource Centers – The “one-stop” center for cash and medical assistance, food stamps, and job services
Resource Toolbox – Main Page